The new easy to type home of all the crap I write.

http://coacearchive.blogspot.com/

I WON'T BE UPDATING THIS BLOG SITE ANYMORE, IF YOU STILL WANT TO READ MY WASTE OF SPACE YOU WILL HAVE TO GO HERE

http://coacearchive.blogspot.com/

I'M CHANGING OVER EVERYTHING TO THAT SITE. AND THAT SITE WILL BE UPDATED DAILY.

SO ADJUST YOUR BOOKMARKS

JOSE

12/30/2005

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

something to think about...because I agree....so does Season...well with the political aspect (well kind of) of it, I dunno, you read it and tell me what ya think.

From the Dec. 29, 2005, editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Gay marriage ban isn't fair

By DEAN MUNDY

There are two bills just passed by the Wisconsin Senate that will most likely be up for referendum in the near future. I must admit, I'm torn between the two sides on each bill.

The first is the amendment to the Wisconsin Constitution defining marriage as being between a man and a woman. It looks like a sure thing to pass the Assembly and be on the ballot in November. The second is a bill to ask the public if Wisconsin should reinstitute the death penalty. I will tackle that in a later column.

First of all, I'm a conservative. I'm a Christian, yes, even one of those "fundamentalists" who believe one should do what the Bible teaches and who many suspect are trying to take our country down the road to theocracy. Whatever.

I admit that the Bible, for me, clearly teaches that marriage is between a man and a woman only. You don't have to read far to see that. In several places.

The most widely quoted by opponents to a biblical view is the verse in Leviticus about stoning homosexuals. Unfortunately opponents usually ignore Paul's teaching in Romans 1, what God told Adam and Eve early in Genesis, and, most importantly, Jesus' repetition of that definition in Matthew 19.

Now why this makes me a "homophobe" or a person who hates homosexuals, I have no idea. I believe smoking is wrong, but I don't hate smokers. I believe getting drunk is wrong, but I don't hate drunkards. I believe divorce and adultery are wrong, but I don't hate divorced people or those who commit adultery. I believe, well, you get my drift, I hope.

Many on the left see this amendment as a political ploy, and for many who voted for it, that would be true. But I think there are others, many others, just like me who believe homosexuality to be wrong. They feel we need to do something about it.


But I'm not in favor of this amendment. For me, it's a matter of fairness and justice. Homosexuals should have the same opportunities that heterosexuals do. It's as simple as that.

I believe that under our form of government, people should have equal protection under the law. This would include homosexuals.

My fellow conservatives and friends in the religious right are, no doubt, readying e-mails and letters to straighten me out. Hey, I know what they are going to say. The arguments are familiar. I've heard them and made them myself before.

They will write me about how this will lead us down a slippery slope to a time when polygamy, etc., will be made legal also.

They believe that we must defeat this is to defend marriage. If so, it's a last-ditch defense.

Look, marriage and families have been under stress for years and not just from homosexuals and liberals. Poverty, single parenthood, materialism, the feminist movement, divorce, people living together and other things add to the stress. We on the right are wrong to just blame the homosexual "agenda."

Other conservatives might insist that homosexuals receive equal treatment now. They can marry anyone they want as long as it's someone of the opposite sex.

Isn't this a little bit like Henry Ford when he said one could have any color Model T they wanted as long as it was black?

I'm conflicted, I admit, because like everyone else, I tend to vote my values. Those on both sides of the issue say the values are clear. I'm not so sure.


As one seeking to minister Christianity, I have to go back to how Jesus lived his life on Earth. Contrary to the opinion of most, it's not that Jesus never got angry (look at how he cleansed the temple and condemned religious leaders, for example).


But he did respond to the down and out with compassion. The adulterous woman was saved from her rightful doom. Lepers, prostitutes, tax collectors, drunks - he sought them all out to do good to them. I cannot do less to those who are homosexual.


As I've mentioned, other people whom I believe are living wrongly are free to do so legally. Why shouldn't homosexuals have that opportunity?


It's only fair, really.



Dean Mundy of Waukesha is a self-employed missionary. His e-mail address is thoughtfulconservative@gmail.com


Jose

No comments: